Purchasing premium boat motor oil isn’t the only important step to having a well running vessel. There are a few things that you can do after a trip that will help your engine running smoothly:
• After every trip, flush out the engine.
• While you’re flushing the motor, check the water pump to make sure it has good water flow. Put your finger through the stream of water; it could be warm, but not hot. If the output isn’t strong, there may be debris stuck in the outflow tube. Shut the engine down to prevent damage.
• Insert a small piece of wire into the flow tube and work it back and forth. Start the engine again and check the output. If that doesn’t help, you may need a new water pump.
• After flushing the engine, disconnect the fuel line and have the engine to burn the fuel in the carburetor.
• Take the engine cowling off and check for fuel or water leaks. If you find leaks talk to a mechanic.
• Wipe everything down and spray with an anti-corrosive like WD-40. Be sure to lubricate all the moving parts such.
• Replace the cowling and wipe it down. Cover the engine between trips.
• Always use fresh fuel.
Did you like this? Share it: